Monday, September 21, 2009

An Anniversary


Happy Anniversary to me!! As of Sunday, I've been in France one month. A whole month! That's crazy. It feels like I just got here but at the same time, I know that's not possible because I know so much more than I knew before. I know more of the language, I understand the train system, I know not to try to use your friend's metro pass instead of buying a ticket because it does not work, I know how to drive a manual car and how to manage traffic circles, and I know I love this country. I love its people, its buildings, its cities, its countryside, its natural wonders, its customs, its food, and its language. (And I'm sure I love a lot of other things that I can't think of at the moment.) It's all just so fantastic.

Right now I'm in a shopping phase. I know, some of you are shocked, as am I, but I do have motivation. For one, it's a lot colder than I thought it'd be and shorts just aren't cutting it anymore. For two, the clothes here rock! I'm loving this legging thing because it's like sweatpants but it's "fashionable". In fact, I'm wearing leggings right now and I think I look quite chic. Eventually, to even attempt to fit in, I'll have to figure out what to do with my hair, makeup, etc... but I think the next step is to stop wearing flip flops. It may be a lost cause. It's one American custom I really don't think I can give up. Actually, the whole thing may be a lost cause. I'm not lying when I say, I can walk down the street and if I happen to see a person who probably could not step onto a fashion show runway right then and fit in perfectly, I'm shocked. I don't know how they do it. I just don't know.


So, to celebrate one month (and also because it was the only day it hasn't rained, well, very much) my 3 friends and I decided to go on a boat tour of the calanques of Marseille and Cassis. Calanques are basically fjords or inlets. They are massive rock formations caused by water or some natural something or other. I don't know, I didn't understand any of the narration.


It was absolutely gorgeous! And it was quite the experience. First, we decided to sit at the very front of the boat. I mean, we weren't in seats, we were sitting on the edge of the pointy front end of the boat. So, everytime the boat dipped, we got soaked. Then the boat went fast and it was freezing. Then I finally dried off. Then it rained. (*picture is of Milli and me hiding from the rain)


Also, I got a full frontal view of a nude beach. Nude people seem very nice. They all waved at us. Ah, I'm laughing right now at the memory. I was in the midst of taking pictures and through my lense I see something strange. I say to my friends, "Hey, I think that guy is naked!" Then I look away from my camera and realize the whole beach was naked. Um...oh. That's when I put the camera away for a while.

And we met a guy from Chile who's in the Foreign Legion. He doesn't know much about personal space bubbles but he's nice. We have a great picture of him inching closer and closer to me and I just keep inching further and further away. I tried not to be rude but really, if the boat hits a wave and you end up bumping into me, you're too close, end of story. But he let me borrow his sweater so I can't be too mad.

After the boat and a heroic effort by me not to throw up (the seasickness didn't really hit until we went below decks), we went in search of pizza. On the way, we saw a bunch of Native Americans playing pipes and flutes and doing rain dance things. Very out of place here I must say. It made me nostalgic none the less. At the restaurant, I ate pizza topped with cheese, tentacles, and shrimp with eyes. It freaked me out but it was really delicious.

So that was my one month anniversary adventure. Hm, I meant for this post to be short because I have homework and sleep to get to. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment