Sunday, December 13, 2009

Noel en France


I'm just going to start with an apology and get it out of the way. If there are any of you out there in cyber-space who check my blog as obsessively as I check other peoples', I am deeply sorry for the whole week and a half that I left you with no knowledge of the happenings in my life.

If you have Facebook you should feel less desperate for news since I swamp everyone's news page with (almost) every thought that pops into my head. For example, you witnessed the whole stream of consciousness decision-making that is my life, like: Where should I live after France? Texas, Florida, Virginia? Ooo, Seattle looks nice. What will I do in Seattle? Hm, maybe I could get my certificate to teach English as a second language. But Kaity, you don't like to teach. Maybe I could learn to like it since it would involve travelling to awesome places like Russia and South Korea. Yeah, that's what I'll do. Move to Seattle and then on to other random and glorious locations... You get the picture. Keep checking Facebook if you're interested in the completely opposite direction my mind will probably lead me next.

So for real occurances, these last few days have been full and fun, but I've forgotten to write about them because I'm so looking forward to this Saturday, only 6 days away. I'm going home for Christmas!! I've been counting down for a few weeks now and it's completely overshadowed most goings-on in my life. Also I've been sick, which may account for some forgetfulness. I've been sleeping a lot!

But it would be a shame to miss the Christmas season in France. It is charming. In the little town where I live, the Christmas lights are up downtown and there are elaborate nativity scenes set up in glass boxes for everyone to enjoy. There is also a fantastic Christmas market every weekend. They sell everything from soap and jewelry, to loaves of bread twice the size of my head and whole dead pigs wrapped up in string. Last week there was a carnival and an amazing wooden carousel that was run by parents see-sawing and a man playing the piano and accordion. Fascinating!


School is exceptionally fun as well. We are having our Christmas party tomorrow and I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll remember to tell you about it.

Last night was a lot of fun. We had a party for all the people who have helped them renovate the house this past year. There were 13 adults here and 6 kids. We ate amazing cheese fondu and lemon ice cream floating in champagne. I was fortunate again to be seated next to a British man so I was able to chat happily in a mix of English and French depending on if I was talking to someone on my right or my left.

Afterward, we all gathered in the salon to play one of those famous people trivia games that I'm generally pretty awesome at if they are played in my language. It was a great vocabulary lesson. And when it was my turn to describe the people to my team, there were enough English speakers in the group that I was allowed to play in English. And can I just say, thank God for Ian Fleming (007), without whom I would never have scored us any points.

It's nights like that that make me love the people of France. I already love the language, the scenery, the food, etc... but each time these people include me in their lives and attempt to find topics of conversation that we can both understand, test out their English on me, suffer through my poor French, and let me play on their team even though I have no idea what the game is about, I fall in love with this place just a little bit more.

But, all that being said, I cannot wait to see my family and friends and eat my Mama's cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment