Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Baby


No, I'm not pregnant...although Marie wishes that I was.

The other day she found the Baby on Board/Expectant Mother sign that used to hang in my car window. It got her thinking about babies.

She looks at me and says (in French), "Can you have a baby?"

I reply, "Yes, but I don't want one right now."

"Why?" she wonders aloud.

"Well," I think carefully about my reply, "First I'd like to find someone to be a good dad for the baby."

That satisfied her curiousity for a minute. Then she asked, "If you had a baby, what would you name it?"

Of course I had a ready answer for that. I've been picking out lists upon lists of baby names since I was five. "Charlotte," I reply.

"Like the girl in my school?"

"No Marie, although I think the Charlotte in your school is very nice, I didn't pick the name because of her. Do you like the name?"

"Non."

"Oh, what do you want me to name it?"

"Hippopotame!"

Yes Marie. For your sake, I will name my first child Hippopotamus.

3 comments:

  1. haha....thats awesome!! but don't really...just think of your poor child :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's funny.
    maybe a middle name?-
    and I am so glad someone will consider charlotte - it's such a beautiful name and the kindest heroine in literature.
    be careful keeping those name lists - i had lists since i was probably ten or younger - look where it got me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of the nickname possibilities!
    Hippy, popo, tamus, just to name a few...

    ReplyDelete