Sunday, January 10, 2010

Home


I've been waiting for four months to use this title. 'Home'. It's got a good ring to it, don't you think?

As a result of the snow, I wasn't able to do everything that I was planning to do while I was in the states. I had wanted to go to church to play in the orchestra and see friends. That didn't happen. I'd also wanted to spend the night in Tennessee visiting college friends. That too did not happen.

But, everything else was perfect. I spent many days just relaxing with my family at home. We talked, ate Mom's food (the best in the world), ate a French meal that I made, played Wii Fit, laughed at my Dad playing Wii Fit (one of the funniest moments of my life), and watched movies. I got to wrap everyone's presents (which I love to do) and go sledding with Lyne Burke and our neighbor. I had actually boycotted the snow as a result of my annoyance with my flight but in the end I forgave it and enjoyed it.

I was also able to visit with old family and school friends and with newer college friends, if only for brief moments. I love how when you spend most of your life in one town, you have so many shared memories with the people around you.

My favorite times were, of course, visiting extended family. On Christmas Day, after waking up early to open presents, we first made our way to my mom's family's house and later to my dad's.

It was a little hard at my Grandma's house this year since my Granddad died this October. Fortunately though, everyone handled it well and it was a great chance to see everyone and catch up on each other's lives, and of course, eat so much incredible food.

Then we were able to spend three days with my dad's family. I got to go shopping with my cousin/best friend, go to church with her and my Papa, exchange stories and pictures with the whole family, eat too much of Grammie's yummy food, eat an elaborate log cake, and just have a marvelous time. I love family!

And then it was time to kiss my sweet dog goodbye and leave my family behind to cross back over the ocean. I was quite grouchy the day I left. I think I just didn't want to say goodbye. But once I was back on French soil, my spirits lifted. I love this place. I love the land, the people, my friends, the food, my school, and the language.

After realizing that home is still where I left it and that it will be mostly the same when I get back, I feel comforted and much more ready to embrace everything about my time here. I've been studying French on my own and planning exciting adventures with my friends. As much as I love my home, I am so happy to be back!

1 comment:

  1. We loved having you home! We're also glad that you're happy where you are now. Knowing that you were miserable would make us miserable! Just don't stay away too long! ;)

    ReplyDelete