Sunday, October 11, 2009

Modernity


This week my title has dual meanings. First, my class at Alliance Francaise went on a field trip to the Musee d'Art Contemporain (Museum of Contemporary Art). Thus the first meaning of my title: modern art. Now, I've discovered a deep appreciation for abstract and modern art from my time at Milligan College. I have come to understand that, even if I can't get a thing out of a particular painting/sculpture/etc..., maybe someone else can, and, one would hope, at least the artist got something out of creating it. And sometimes I really do get it. Sometimes it touches me and I don't even know why.

But sometimes, I just don't understand. For example, with our over-enthusiastic tour guide, we spent a minimum of 20 minutes studying, in minute detail, a huge swirly painting/piece of fabric on the wall. It was called to our attention that the color was meant to hurt the eyes and therefore we were forced to stare at it for far too long, just to understand. After that, the white museum walls never did seem to stay still for the rest of the trip.

Fortunately, after our dissection of at least another 6 exhibits and having viewed at least 8 times a short film set on repeat of a man purposely flinging himself down the billion stairs of the Marseille train station to demonstrate a poem, we were set free to roam the museum alone. That was when it was really fun. We got out the cameras and started making art of our own. Above is one of the two giant thumbs featured there. The other is outside the building and is probably a few stories high.

So anyway, that was my trip to the museum. It was awesome and I learned a lot, particularly how much I hate buses and how ill I could easily become while riding one standing up. I also learned about art of course, some new vocab words, and some fun facts about my teacher and fellow students. Overall an exciting day. Who doesn't love a field trip anyway, no matter the destination?

The second meaning is this: I'm attempting to modernize my look. I know you are all thinking, 'Oh no Kaity, you've always dressed so well! You are a trend setter and you always look so put together.' I know, I know, but now I'm going to do even better. (Please, please, note the sarcasm in this paragraph. It is not funny at all if you think I actually do believe this nonsense.)

But really, I am trying. I went shopping Saturday with a goal and did quite well. I've picked a color scheme and a look and I'm trying to only buy things that fit into that wardrobe. I think this is how it's supposed to be done anyway but I'm just now figuring this out. Anyway, I found shoes that hurt my feet slightly less than the ones I had but look radically better than flip flops. I found more leggings and two cute dresses to go with them. I also found awesome earrings to match my new bracelet and necklace that I found last week at the best jewelry shop ever. It has so many shiny things it made me dizzy but it's really inexpensive and pretty. Hooray!

So, this is me striving for a little more modernity. Next step, hair. Definitely planning to cut it. It's in my way and I'm ready for a change. Also probably going to go darker but you've seen that before. Considering some sort of bangs again but not too sure. Anyone with any suggestions on the matter (ex. "No, never cut your hair!" or "Go bald, it'd be a good look for you." or even a mild "Sure, maybe go shoulder length but bleached with blue stripes.") would be helpful. Just looking for outsiders' opinions since I can't really see myself. I only have a handheld mirror at the moment.

To sum things up, modernity is tough. It's tough to understand and it's tough to achieve. I found myself considering whether I even want to achieve it. Everything changes anyway, what's the point in trying to keep up? But then I realized something. I look back through periods of history and I say, 'Wow, it must have been awesome to be alive then, to dress like that and do the things they did.' But realistically, if I did live then with had the attitude I have now, I would have missed out on that life anyway. Therefore, I am striving for change. I am striving to live in the now. I am ready to learn modernity.

4 comments:

  1. Kaity, ta description de la visite du musée m'a faite mourir de rire !! Tout comme ton tout dernier paragraphe... moderne donc, de n'importe quelle couleur.... sauf bleue ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaity.

    You know I have always wanted to make decisions for other people. (Perhaps that is the REAL reason for six children. Hmmm.)
    At any rate, I think to go with your new modern look, which I think can really work on you, you need a short bob-like hairdo - but a modern bob with ends that are a bit jagged and bangs that are a bit long. About jaw length. Cut with a razor so they are almost shaggy.
    It will be incredible.
    And I expect to see photos.

    -Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and you need boots. Everyone needs boots. To go with your leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the boots, black and brown if you can, black if only one. Clothing-Don't try to be someone you're not. Don't cut your hair too short, you know you always want to put it up. Ok, you asked!

    ReplyDelete