Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cinema


As I'm settling into the routine here, I'm looking for more and more ways to stay entertained. For example, what was once a momentous occasion, such as venturing into Marseille by myself, has now become an almost daily occurance and has since lost some of its charm. Driving in town, once the stuff of nightmares, is now second nature (well, usually.) Now, I know I need to be doing some travelling. That would certainly break up the routine. No worries though, I have plans to visit Avignon with friends next weekend. I'm also making plans to visit places like Aix, Lyon, Cannes, and Paris. Even bigger goals are countries like Germany, Spain, England, and Morocco. Hey, I'm this close. It's possible.

But in the mean time, I'm looking for entertainment closer to home. I love movies, probably more than any person should love anything less than human. But I do, I love them. So this weekend has been like a dream come true. I got to go to the cinema with a friend on Friday night. We saw The Proposal dubbed over in French. Odd but fun. I missed hearing Sandra Bullock's humorous voice but it was interesting to see her speaking French for 2 hours. After we left the theater, I also saw a bunch of kids sitting on my car making out and smoking illegal substances, but that's more just a random occurance than entertainment. Actually, I was more annoyed and embarrassed than entertained.

Then yesterday (Saturday) I made it back from a jewelry/candy shopping excursion in Marseille just in time to see Le petit Nicholas with my host family. It was so cute! I loved seeing the France of the 50s (I think) and it was interesting to try to follow along since the whole thing is really French.

And today, after spending a few relaxing hours with my friends at a cafe, I'm probably going to get to see another film with Anne and her friend. Yay for cinema!

Alas, I'm sure no one is really very interested in my theater going experiences. So, as the shiny newness of my life here is wearing off, I will attempt to find something truly new and exciting to do every week, for my benefit and for yours. I wouldn't want my loyal readers to become bored now would I?

1 comment:

  1. Matt and I are starting to feel that way too. The newness and novelty of living in another country is starting to wear off, and while it's still exciting, it's not the same adventure it was when we first arrived. We've done most of the touristy things already and finally feel like this is home. It's weird, but I guess I knew that feelings would change, and I wouldn't always feel like a visitor. Now, I don't think, "wow, I'm in Scotland" but instead think, "Yeah, I live just up the street."

    ReplyDelete