Sunday, August 30, 2009

Monoprix


I feel that today is a major milestone. For one thing, it marks exactly one week that I've been in France. It's amazing that it's already been that long and I'm starting to dread how fast this year will fly. Better make it count I guess.

I also realized last night (around midnight so it counts as today I think) how much French I've learned in just one week. I thought I wasn't getting anywhere with it but I decided to watch one of my French movies that I brought. This time, I understood so many more phrases than before and I'm starting to be able to take sentences apart and figure out what they meant. Needless to say, I was uber excited and encouraged.

But the main thing I'm excited about today is that I went into Aubagne city center completely alone. Yesterday, Julien told me I could take the car out today, and not for practice, he said, but to go out and see things. At first I completely dismissed the idea. Then I realized I could either spend today being bored, or I could go on an adventure. I woke up in the adventure mood.

To set up the story, you have to understand that I had to leave my body wash at the airport because my suitcase was one pound too heavy and I figured they would have soap in Marseille since it is famous for it's soap factories. Since I've been here I've been using the little bit I stuck in my carry-on. It is quickly running out. I determined that I would make my way to the Monoprix and get soap. I checked on Google Maps (one of my favorite websites ever) and it said that if I walk from the train station (which is as far as I'm willing to drive right now plus it doesn't have parallel parking) it's only three minutes away. Hooray!

So I went. The drive was great. I adjusted my seat further back and now I can actually drive the car without bending my ankles in unnatural positions. I arrived at the train station, walked across the bridge over the train tracks, and walked up and down the sidewalk trying to figure out where the road I was supposed to go on was. While I still love Google Maps, I will admit that it has flaws. So, since I don't think that road actually exists, I followed the signs to the city center, hoping I'd come across it on my way. Low and behold, three minutes later, there it was!

The Monoprix is now my favorite store in the world. It is basically a Target. It has everything. I got my soap, some decent shaving cream, a notebook, and memo cards (basically index cards. I thought it was a notepad but apparently I can't read as well as I thought). I also snooped around and discovered they carry almost all the same brands of toiletries I use and that made me happy...also regretful because I packed so much in my suitcase. Anyway... They also have cute clothes and food and stuff. So I got my stuff, paid, and got out before they close at 12. It seems that everything is closed on Sundays except them but they close early.

Then I walked around the market admiring booths and booths of amazing pottery. Sometime I'll go back and take pictures but I was trying not to look like a tourist. But I probably did because I forgot that you have to buy bags or take them with you to stores so I was walking around with a bunch of soap and notebooks falling out of my hands.

After my little stroll, I headed back toward the train station, across the road where I waited forever until two nice men stopped and let me cross, and back home in my car. Now I am here writing this and feeling very proud of myself. I actually think I can do this now and I'm relieved.

*In the picture, check out the lines in the notebook. They all look like that or like graph paper. It's pretty cool but i don't understand it's purpose. Kind of distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment