Monday, August 10, 2009

Net Savvy


I am getting old. I know this when the kids I used to babysit are teenagers, when my friends are getting married, when my little brother heads off to college (that happened today), and when technology is starting to overwhelm me. Right now I am wrestling with becoming more "net savvy." I like that phrase. Well, actually I like the word savvy and spent about 20 minutes googling it trying to find another word to go with it that would be a fitting title for this post. So, I am in pursuit of net savvy(ness).


I'm trying to get as many different methods of communication as possible set up before I leave in less than two weeks. Ah! Everytime I think of that I freak out a little inside. Anyway, I just want to stay connected. It seems like there are more ways to do that these days than there are minutes to invest in using them. For example, I now have 3 email addresses, Facebook, Twitter, this blog, AIM, and most recently, Skype. It's a lot to keep track of. I laugh at movies like He's Just Not That Into You where they talk about being rejected by, like, 10 different modes of communication. But it's certainly possible. The saddest days of my life are when I check each thing 50 times and there is nothing new. Therefore, if you want me to be eternally happy, people need to write to me. Just kidding. Kinda.


Basically what I'm saying is, the world of communication is advancing faster than me and by the time I'm actually old, I'm going to be one of those people stuck in the past, still sending email when the latest craze is holograms and teleporters. (Yes, I've been known to watch Star Trek on occasion. Blame my father if you must.) For now though, I'm attempting to stay net savvy and trying to see technology for it's benefits rather than it's downfalls.


*Please do not sue me for using the above picture. It is not mine and I do not take credit for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment