Friday, November 20, 2009

The Next Step


I've come to the conclusion that it's not about what you do, it's about where you do it and who you do it with.

As it always does when fall arrives, my mind is exploring possibilities for my future. As usual, I have already changed my mind multiple times. I'm past the 'go to VCU and get my social work masters' phase and the 'go back to school for anything right when I get home' phase. I'm already looking for another adventure.

Somehow, Australia got the ball rolling. It was only yesterday that I started considering it and already I know the best youth hostels, the requirements for my visa, which city I want to go to (Brisbane), where I want to work (Australia Zoo), how long it takes to get from there to the Outback and Tropical North Queensland, and how much money I need to have before I go.

After hours of research, my stream of consciousness leapt from Brisbane to Australia Zoo to any zoo and settled on Disney World's Animal Kingdom. I was considering whether I wanted to be away from home for another full year so soon after being in France for that long. Florida is tropical and seemed a nice compromise. Also, I don't have to go through visa hassles. And I LOVE Disney World!

Since the weather here is ridiculously nice today, I took a long walk around the countryside near the house. It gave me a lot of time to think. I was considering whether it was wise that I am making more plans to do random, directionless, fun things while most people my age are starting careers or families. *shiver* I am so not ready for that.

Anyway, I decided that it was. Who's to say that all these things I'm learning won't lead me right to where I'm supposed to be. There's no way I can plan my life now. I don't have any idea of all the possibilites waiting out there.

What if I get a job at Disney World because they have some random job opening for someone who can speak French, plays the violin, and likes working with kids? And there I end up working with the animals and become licensed in some animal care something or other. And from that I get a job working at Australia Zoo. And then I meet some handsome relative of Keith Urban and get married and have adorable Aussie babies. And then my awesome Aussie babies will grow up to be Wildlife Warriors and have their own globe-trotting TV show and I can guest star. And then... You see, the possibilities are endless.

Ok, so I really do have it all planned out, but I guess I'm flexible.

The point is, as long as I'm happy with where I am and who I'm with, and as long as I can make enough money for a roof and food, I don't know that I have to lock myself into a lucrative career path right now. At the end of my life, am I going to look back and say, "Gee, I sure am glad I worked at that job I didn't like so I could buy the big house in the stuck up neighborhood and have 1.3 kids who don't like me anymore." or will I think, "Wow, I'm glad I lived."

No comments:

Post a Comment