Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Sugar High

Wow, what an amazing day! This was one of the best days of my time in France. It may have something to do with the fact I'm still smiling from last night, or possibly because of the copious amounts of sugar I consumed today, but no matter what the reason, I'm happy to be happy.

We started the day like every other Wednesday with handball for Paul. I already knew something suspiciously good was going on when much of the usual complaining and arguing that usually happens these mornings was nowhere to be found.

Handball went great and lunch went off without a hitch. Then came the project. I told the kids if they were really good, they could help me make an American dessert. My parents had sent a package that finally got here yesterday and it was stuffed with ridiculous amounts of knee socks, candy, and pudding. I must say, I'd like to eat it all myself, but I think that would not be prudent for my sugar levels or my waistline.

So, I'm feeding it to the children as well. This afternoon we made French Vanilla pudding (which I thought appropriate). It was so great! It's so easy that basically the kids made it themselves and were quite proud of the fact. And man, I never realized how much I missed pudding, Reese's, Mounds Bars, Cow Tales, Skittles, and popcorn until today.

We enjoyed our pudding and then it was calm time. Marie tried to sleep for two hours (with limited success) and Paul and I played with his train and I read him Peter Pan while he molded clay. It was peaceful and amazing. As a reward, they got one piece of candy each.

Then it was snack time, and since I was really amazed at the behavior today (as in, they said please and thank you to each other and there was no screaming or anything) I said we could watch Peter Pan. So, we settled down with some amazing microwave popcorn and enjoyed the film. You know, Peter Pan actually works really well in French.

Then I made dinner early, and everyone ate very well with the promise of pudding and a new bon-bon for dessert. When we were done, I doled out a few Skittles each. I think that was actually the biggest success of the day. I was hugged and kissed repeatedly for that one. Then we read more of Peter Pan and they were off to bed by 8:30.

Oh how I love the simple pleasures in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment