Sunday, November 22, 2009

Theatre

Great news! I am now participating in theatre classes in Marseille! It's awesome and I'm so excited!

I had a meeting a week ago with the woman who runs the school. She offers a unique opportunity for foreign students to learn theatre and improve their French. Basically, we just start with the beginners class and stay there until our level of French (and our acting ability) improves enough to move up to the next class. We're in class side by side with all the French students, which is great since I was finding it hard to meet locals my age.

I started Tuesday and it is great. It's from 7-11 at night so I'm pretty exhausted after a day of school, work, and then that but it's worth it. I also have to drive myself to Marseille since the trains stop at 11. Tuesday was the first time I'd made the drive and it was a challenge. I got lost a few times and had to pay way too much at a parking garage but I made it only 15 minutes late (even though we're supposed to be 15 minutes early).

We study mostly contemporary works. Right now we're working on 'Waiting for Godot' by Samuel Beckett. Believe me, it's challenging enough without it being in a different language. But, I do find the language and the fact I'll only be here a year kind of liberating. I don't feel as self-conscious making a fool out of myself as I usually do.

I've already talked to a few others in my class and I think it'll be a great process getting to know them. They're mostly French with some Spanish and a few other countries mixed in. I only did the warm-ups and observed all the scene work last week but this Tuesday I have a scene to perform, in French! Yikes! I'd better go run lines again...and figure out the meaning of what I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment